Friday 7 October 2011

Oh my, a GOOD parenting magazine. Gurgle.

Maybe I'm a bit too opinionated, or have created very high expectations based on my personal experience of parenting over the last few years, but I don't generally think that highly of the writing and messages of the parenting magazines out there. I thought I was too cynical and have been pleasantly surprised to have just read a few issues of a new magazine, Gurgle... and liked it! 


Issue 1 cover
Whereas the other magazines I've bought have read to me like Heat and Glamour magazine does Pregnancy and Birth (more of an emphasis on hair and makeup during pregnancy/motherhood than minor issues like bonding with your child, the joys of developing another side to yourself, love) [sorry, long sentence], Gurgle magazine seems to get the balance right. Although it still essentially sells products for the Mummy market population, (and I have to say, there is some very nice stuff there) it also steps out of the consumer world into the world of understanding your child and yourself. In Issue 1 a headline reads "10 Celeb Mums and the Things Money Can't Buy"; in Issue 3, "Trusting Your Instincts". I've also noticed in other magazines that there is a lack of articles covering pregnancy/parenting beyond the first babe. In Gurgle, however, Issue 1 includes intervews with pregnant mothers who are pregnant with their second or third children and what their expectations are. Gold Dust reading for me at the moment!

Have a look for yourself at Gurgle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You