Monday 13 August 2012

FashionAble

I heard the other day that babywearing was fashionable. That's nice to hear. 

I have never really managed anything remotely fashionable, my sisters will testify to my dress sense over the years and nothing really improved with age! The same was so for being part of any popular groups at school or college, just me, mostly figuring out my own path with a few close friends to keep me company along the way. Even doing a PhD, I never obtained any "Geek Chic" credit (whatever that means anyway, ba humbug). Athough I do own glasses now, for my faded eye sight, and they don't look that bad (according to me, which isn't necessarily a valid reference). So wa hey, I'm fashionable now.

With the low numbers, at least that I notice, carrying out similar sorts of parenting styles to me (well, I'm trying to direct my parenting in that way, in a fallable, human sort of way at least), I'm happy for fashion to give it a helpful hand. Not that everybody is expected to do as I do, (or that they are possible or wanted to be done by all) but that these approaches are seen as options, or just made aware of to others.
Dipping a toe in, try before you buy

In this case, I don't think the apparent superficiality of fashion as a reason for choosing to try out these parenting approaches is a bad thing. Chance led me to many of the many aspects of parenting I believe in now. Having the sampling period led to the deeper appreciation and understanding of those approaches later on.

I only really got into slings as a second chance saloon - I tried it early on when couldn't figure out how to get Abbie to sleep and bought the only sling I had heard of through other friends, but didn't get on with it and gave up. The second time of using it was much later when testing a ring sling, and it was brilliant. It had so much value for me, not just practical but in the time to connect with abbie too - the warmth of being close and hold eye contact and talk to her as she sat at my side, the calm it brought her if she was having an unsettled day.

The same with cosleeping (I was tired, so I fed Abbie lying down a few times then  realised I should do it more often, then the benefits were realised further and the background understanding read up on later still); and baby led weaning (Abbie didn't like pureed food, but would eat ours, once the health visitor said go ahead, there was no looking back - once more, the background understanding came retrospectively).

Naming the celebs

Well, I thought I'd do some quick googling and here are some names to notice!

Homebirthers: Davina McCall (all four at home), Charlotte Church. Thandie Newton, Jade Jagger, Jemma Redgrave, Nelly Furtado, Pamela Anderson, Cindy Crawford, Demi Moore (all four at home).

Here are some photos of celebrity babywearers:



Inspire a generation

Hopefully this for babywearing fashion highlights attachment-promoting techniques. What's the worst that could happen? At least horizons could be broadened.

It is a little like this bandwagon that has occurred as a result of our incredible London 2012 Olympics. I certainly have noticed the effect locally. Oh no, not more people taking part in sport because they've seen it on the telly? Oh yes and it's brilliant news.

Right: Mayor Boris Johnson imitates Mo Farah's moves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You