Thursday 2 February 2012

Hug power

Just a quick comment today - how great hugs are for your children (and you).

Abbie's not been herself since yesterday afternoon. Although I could get the temperature down yesterday with paracetamol, she still wanted nothing more than to stay close to me. She went to bed ok, though I kept checking on her temperature and around 11pm she toddled into my room, to sleep in the same bed as me. Although she was roasting hot, at around 4am she climbed over and slept with her face about as close as possible to mine (I didn't sleep that well but I'm a softie...).

This need for proximity continued today, and we spent the day  downstairs watching (at her request) Finding Nemo and CBeebies on loop (even when I thought she was sleeping she protested that I'd turned it off!). I managed to get regular medicine and water or milk for her to drink too, and though she didn't want anything to eat or anything else I offered to get her, she did want me to stay next to her all day.

I really didn't mind and would have been trapped there, a pillow for her head to lean on for weeks if that's what she needed. I knew that I was helping her and was what she needed to feel comfortable.

I'm not saying hugs replace medicine and fluids, but I had a strong feeling today especially, that they must contribute to the healing process. It has also been good to be reminded of the difference a hug, kiss, arm around your child makes to them. There must be some science behind this, but I'm not going to look into it now. I don't really need proof anyway.

Recent press

In the news lately, John Prescott (Labour cabinet minister, now Lord Prescott) described his regret in not hugging his sons on R4's Desert Islands discs. Read more in a local news article, Hull and East Riding.

(The image above is a Vanessa Pooley sculpture)

2 comments:

  1. Anna - THIS is why!

    http://www.greatist.com/happiness/tip-hug-it-out/

    Carry on hugging! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K! Wow, even hugging yourself is good! Thanks for following up the background to it. Go hugs x

    ReplyDelete

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You