Monday 13 February 2012

Quick update on old blogs: Where we are now

I'm aware that I haven't followed up on some of the old blogs to say how things have progressed since, so am going to use this post as a quick review of the last year, feeding back on any points I previously left open. [There aren't actually very many].


Nov 2011: Working out boundaries is hard work 

Since using the Time Out approach, I very rarely use it, but am pleased to have something to fall back on when the 'terrible two-and-a-halfs' as my friend calls them, strike. Things are rarely bad enough to need to use the time out method, probably once a week or fortnight. Often threatening use of time out is enough. I also think things have improved since Abbie's verbal language has improved. She's more able to express herself, so gets less frustrated. I also am less stressed in these situations because I have something to use if necessary.


July 2011: Major U-turn

We managed to use the bumgenius 3.0 nappies on Abbie during the day only for a little longer (she was 2 years old in July 2011), however, it didn't last long. Despite the freshen up wash, she was getting some rashes from the nappy rubbing, and we were still getting leaks. This may have been because I hadn't completely cleaned them and removed all remnants of urine properly. We decided (I can't remember when, but it must have been only a few months after the blog), to give the nappies one big clean up and store them away in the loft for the next baby. Since then we've been using disposable eco-nappies. Usually Sainsbury's eco or Natur Babycare. Yes. Abbie is still in nappies. One or two wees on the potty but no progress beyond that. She is 2 years and 7 months old. I still have no regrets over using reusable nappies for the majority of the time, even if we have used disposables at the very start (first 2 months or so) and end (who knows when it'll end but hopefully soon!).

Other than these I pretty much standby everything else I've written about. The themes continue:

1. Believing in your instincts over anything else (although I also use alongside this any relevant scientific/medical advice - quacks and slack journalists not included)

2. Baby-led parenting - not just weaning, but just putting yourself in your children's shoes, considering things from their perspective, doing my best to understand their communication to me and working with them

3. Being suspicious of the baby/children industry - as an example, I still avoid buying children's food when the food we eat is perfectly good enough, if not better. Also, we cannot buy everything our children need, even if you may be made to think so - it's not about stuff, it's about us.

4. Thinking about evolution and basic biological processes when deciding how to approach things: What would our cave dwelling ancestors have done? What have our bodies been evolved to do? Trusting this evolution in equipping us to be parents and our children to develop by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You