Monday 7 February 2011

Embrace it

I've never really had any fashion or, just dress sense. But before getting pregnant, I'd figured out a formula of sorts- what works and what I should stay away from. However, things aren't what they were since having my lovely baby, and my formula has had to be scrapped. Leaving behind the same person with little idea about clothes and even less time and money to indulge in any clothes shopping in the first place.

I went to the Westfield centre in Derby last week - it could be interchanged with the name Hell (pre- and post- pregnancy). Unfortunately, I needed some new clothes. Although in the past, I might have considered myself as alternative-ish, I just couldn't figure out what was being sold and how to combine outfits from places like Berksha, Topshop, Zara etc., H&M was just a market stall of piled up reject clothes; M&S and Debenhams, TOO DULL [- affordable, independent clothes shops, where are you now anyway?]. Even though I wanted to avoid Next, as my friend says, it provides semi-fashionable clothes for people who wouldn't know how to put together those outfits otherwise - fashion for dummies.
I keep ending up there, but again, it was the only place where I could find something. I ended up with some jeans, a jumper and a cardigan-blouse combo. Not something you'd find me wearing 5 years ago, but I just wanted something comfortable. Slippery slope?

Why am I going on about this?
As the day went on I was just wanting some comfy jeans and a big sweatshirt. Although many women have incredible figures and manage to look good alot of the time, despite having young children, I don't (I saw a mum in Birmingham pushing a young baby and wearing false eyelashes last week!). I thought I should be trying to sort myself out but just didn't care after a few hours in the Westfield. 

I don't want to end up looking too different to my old shape (c.f. Charlize Theron in Monster vs. J'Adore advert), but I just want to not worry about it too much. Shame it isn't something media images give a balanced view for us poor, broken down Mums. We have no excuse, must have and be it all [just how much time do the celebrity women spend with their children? Are they too busy in the gym and shopping? Or is it that they don't think they have the choice?]. Looks are just another fragment of being a supermum that I can't quite get right, but refuse to spend too much time and money on, if it means I'm taking time away from my family and friends.

I've let go of a few things since having a family, but its ok. Just a change in priorities. I don't really go out (although that's due to babysitting limits), don't go to any concerts (I had tickets to two gigs around 3 months after Abigail was born, but cancelled both) or clubs (6am starts just don't work with late nights). I'd like to figure out my new formula for dressing, but in no hurry. I'll get there when I'm ready. In the meantime, apologies for looking a bit odd sometimes, but I'm comfy.

I'm also listening to Radio 2, something I never did before. I'm not embarrassed, but singing along to all the classics - thank you motherhood (and aging) for relieving me of any self consciousness regarding my music taste!



Last words


Life doesn't end when you have children, it is just a different kind of life, a new and deeply wonderful one. Fashion doesn't really come close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You