Sunday 9 September 2012

He's eating already

I waited until Abbie was 6 months old, in line with the NHS/WHO guidelines and there were no complaints from either of us. However, despite planning on doing the same, Thomas has other ideas about wanting to get started on solid food. A few days ago I relented, letting him try on a piece of cucumber, which went down well. Once that was done, some orange segments. The next day the interest was the same at our mealtimes (you eat, then I want to too, e.g., lunging forwards with his body/ swiping grabs with his hands/ general complaining noises). I'm sticking with fruit and vegetables until we hit 6 months. Thomas is somewhere over 17lbs and 5 months old. He's been eating/gnawing/sucking on the following so far: cucumber, orange, tomato, celery, green pepper, banana, pear, nectarine (nothing especially planned, just the food we were having with our main meals/pudding). All either whole or (his) fist sizes.


I had a video of him eating some tomato yesterday, but I can't do it due to the limits on this blogger website (boo), so here's some photos instead. [In the video he was grabbing the tomato as I held it in front of him, sucking on it, dropping it and complaining, but stopping whiney sounds when he got it back again and smiling when I asked if he was enjoying it]:



I'm in no hurry for him to pass any milestones - I very much want to follow his lead (because this approach has proven the best with allsorts of areas, Abbie's potty training for one). I've learnt not only to trust in my instincts, but in his too - I really didn't want to wean pre- 6 months. This start seems to work for him, this particular lovely baby who was showing the signs of being ready - I wouldn't want to advocate early weaning any other way.

I'd better get hold of Abbie's old highchair now though, we definitely need it (and some bibs)!

We love baby led weaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You