Friday 21 September 2012

Changing bag lady

Until Thomas was born, we used a rucksack for a changing bag. We had a foldup mat, with pockets for wipes and liners, nappies and a wet bag; putting wallet, phone etc., in whatever pockets available. But the second time around, I liked the idea of a nice changing bag treat. I was also not keen to spend the extortionate prices on changing bags (I found one for £269, although most do start at £20, so mustn't exaggerate), or for it to only have a short life as a changing bag - I wanted it to have more than one practical use.

I know it sounds funny with the devotion I have to the topics of Mumhood, but I didn't particularly want to hoik a changing bag (they are rather obvious and clunky, and very plasticky) around as it defined my identity somewhat more than I'd like, having just a bag with nappies and their necessary accessories with them, along with whatever else I need for the day feels different.

I borrowed my friends' changing bag at first, as I just couldn't commit to a purchase. I found it very difficult to find any changing bags designed towards users of reusable nappies or those who breastfeed, as spare padding for formula bottles and teeny spaces for disposable nappies were wasted design points for me (not sure if just my experience?). I did find one reusable nappy changing bag, "Weehugger", but the UK sellers had discontinued them. Booo!  My over analytical mind went into frozen state, I just left it.

But then, about a month ago (Thomas 4 mo), an Amazon search for something else (can't remember what) and I stumbled upon floral school bags (the reviewers all talked about having space for their or their children's folders and notepads which gave it away a bit). Anything big enough for a school bag is big enough for a changing bag, even with the additional need for at least some spare pants for Abigail! Any wet clothes and nappies go in the wetbag, to keep separate from any of the dry contents of the bag (no wipe clean facility necessary).

Above left is the photo of my new changing bag, that will just be a bag when I don't need to carry nappies around anymore, along with the mat, a nappy and wetbag for scale. The photo on the right is an out-and-about shot (extra cloth bag for even more spare stuff).

Here is the Swanky Swans Women's Floral Crossbody bag (£19.99); here is the Cannymums Reusable Zippered wetbag (£4.20); Jojo Maman Bebe Changing Mat (£9).

Thought it may be of interest if you fancied making your own too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You