Monday 9 July 2012

Mini me

I think this photo says it all really, but this is an update to a blog I wrote a while ago, describing that "they do what you do" and to take this and apply it wherever.

Abbie chose to carry her baby in a sling (I made one from a muslin), because she wanted to do the same as I do with her baby brother, with her baby toy. It was so sweet! I've seen quite a lot of this lately, Abbie picking up ways of being with a baby from what I do with Thomas, even down to making an "oh" sound when picking her toy up to signal him being heavy (she even provides a commentary about the fact). I have been amazed at the level of detailed mimicry going on, how much she notices. I'm sure she supports her baby toy's head how I do. It's the words and intonation used too. It's quite moving to hear her speaking so softly and gently to her toys when treating them like babies, changing their nappies, asking them if they'd like this or that and saying "OK" if not and trying something else, just as I do with her. Makes me realise the emotional and social significance of what she's copying. Wow.

Little sponges

When washing the car a few days ago, Abbie didn't want to stand and watch, but wanted to clean the car with Mummy. So she had a little bucket and little sponge and away she went... this later ended up with her wanting to use the hosepipe as well ("my do it"), which I gave in to and got a shower from, although I didn't start that one, that was all her imagination (see below)!






It's sometimes a hard mirror to look at, but an important one, e.g., reminding me of the consequences of when I lose my temper and shout or say "No" too much, I'm only passing on habits I'd rather not so I should be careful. It's not easy bringing up toddlers, but hopefully can stick to positive parenting approaches and staying calm for the majority of the time. How she behaves with me and other people reinforces that need.

Nothing much more to say really - when it comes to any aspect of behaviour, what and how she says or does things, eats or drinks, it comes down to what the people around her do - especially her parents.

...and that's also why I hide and eat a sneaky biscuit in the kitchen now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You